chives

chives

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Invasion of the Giant Cabbage!

UPDATED - Here's the correct photo.. I had posted the wrong one..

Giant veggie growing is a competitive hobby - but a fun one! This is a photo of Pete from New Brunswick who sent me a few of his precious giant cabbage seeds. (Pete also grows giant pumpkins and onions!)

His seeds came from a previous record holder in England - these cabbages can weight over 126 pounds! Talk about enough coleslaw to feed a crowd!

Pete's seeds arrived a few months ago and I planted them up, according to his instructions. I now have 3 seedlings and all are doing quite well and getting very big.. I will put them in the garden soon, tossing a row cover over top in case of a late-season frost. Pete tells me that these plants can grow about 6-feet in diameter and therefore need a lot of space.. Because space is tight in the veggie patch, I'm going to tuck them in between the perennials and shrubs in a new ornamental bed. Those plants are young and there is plenty of room for the cabbages to grow HUGE! Fingers crossed!

Happy Gardening - and thanks Pete!

5 comments:

  1. hope you can swap photos Niki...thats not me pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not? Opps! Can you e-mail me another.. This one came from you, so I assumed that was your cabbage.. I only have shots of your seedlings then Pete..

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats better! pete For the record,thats a 60 pounder,and yes...very tastey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Putting constraint on space, will the cabbage be of lesser size.., and over many generations go back to its normal size? ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what I understand,this type of cabbage was popular in the old days in the U.K. but was generally termed to be "cow cabbage" since its size made for good cow food.The seed strain has been kept going for all of this time,but not generally popular in North America I believe. pete

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)