chives

chives

Monday, April 26, 2010

Cold frame Update

The new cold frame is finally 'in-ground'!! We just finished digging the spot this past weekend, laid down some landscape fabric to deter weeds and then moved it into place. Sigh.. I then moved about 20 wheelbarrow loads of soil (my loads aren't too big!) into the frame, raked it level and planted seed!

I planted two rows of sweet baby carrots, Black Seeded Simpson lettuce, Sea of Red lettuce, baby romaine lettuce, arugula, golden beets and purple Pak choi.. I was going to post a photo of the seeded frame, but it looks almost the same as the above photos, except for the plant tags.

I'll keep posting on the progress of the seedlings.. but for now, I need to fill up the other end of the frame, plant it, clean up the mess around the frame (logs, rocks, debris) and then lay some mulch all around to tidy up the area.

We have plans for one more cold frame this season - only half as large as this monster though! I think the new one will be portable and not sunk in ground.. ideal for moving over garden crops as needed..

Spring is here! Happy Gardening!

6 comments:

  1. How big is the cold frame Niki? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's 3 feet by 12 feet, but divided into 2 sections that are each 6 feet long..

    Now, once it stops raining, I'll need to go out and fill up the other side with soil and plant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to see how gardeners play around the weather to get on with gardening. Our worries here centered towards excessive heat and heavy downpour. ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so helpful to see the photos of the project. I have been wanting to start a cold frame so this inspires me. I am starting a Square Foot Garden ( Mel Bartholomew) which also uses a bottomless frame. I am wondering about using shredded paper instead of landscape fabric after lifting the grass and vegetation where the garden is being placed?
    I am new to Nova Scotia and also wondering if it is still to early to plant my seedlings ( Minas Basin) that I started under grow lights?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm glad you liked the photo! I'm so happy with it.. you could probably use shredded paper, but just sheets of newspaper would work better on the bottom of a cold frame or box. They would last several years. I went with landscape fabric, as it has a longer life - about 5 to 10 years.

    Depending what your seedlings are, some can be planted now.. cold weather loving crops like radishes, peas, beets, lettuces, leeks, onion sets and assorted salad greens. Things like tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, squash and cucumbers can't be planted until the risk of frost has passed.. late May or so.

    Don't forget to harden off your crops that are under the lights - put them in a shady spot outside for a few days, bringing them in if the nights are cool.. then, give them a few days in partial shade, weaning them to full sun. The whole hardening off process should take about a week..

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Niki! Good advise. I am really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)