Flowers

Flowers

Friday, March 4, 2011

And so it begins..

Sadly, the title of this post isn't referring to spring (although the weekend does look mild!!), but rather the rush of the season. We're getting closer to figuring out the start of this season's The Weekend Gardener.. hard to believe this will be our 5th season on the radio!! Crazy how time flies.. We'll have the same time slot and day as the previous few years - every Sunday from 11 to 1 pm Atlantic time. Soon, I'll have more details, but rest assured, there will be some amazing guests - as always - and a lot of fun! Plus, great giveaways - one big one in the first month of the show!! Stay tuned for details..

For now though, if you have any suggestions of guests or ideas that you'd like covered, please feel free to comment or e-mail me!

I can also confirm that I'll be returning to the Ideal Home Show for the 3rd year in a row for a series of spring lectures. I'll be there on Saturday, April 2nd at noon and 3 pm and again on Sunday, April 3rd at noon and 3 pm. My lecture topics will be 'Backyard Veggie Gardens' - Creating your own organic paradise and 'Hot New Plants for 2011' - to include everything from shrubs to perennials to annuals to container plants to veggies. These will be powerpoint presentations and I'll be sharing a lot of photos from our gardens! For more info, check out: http://www.masterpromotions.ca/Previous-Events/nova-scotia-spring-ideal-home-show/features-seminars/e

As well, I'll be going to Kingswood Garden Club, Bible Hill Garden Club and the annual meeting of the Nova Scotia Association of Garden Clubs in June, among others to offer various lectures.

This is going to be a busy spring - but a fun one! I can't wait - and I really want to hear your ideas for show segments!

Happy Gardening!

12 comments:

  1. Hi, what a fantastic blog! I love growing and eating my own veggies, I'll follow you!

    Ciao

    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog. Beehives as a topic please! Looking into it now and wondering in cold conditions if a backyard hive will survive and in reality how time consuming is it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A whole two hour gardening programme - unheard of in our parts - more's the pity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for the season to begin!! Beehives..that was a great idea Mrs. Bok. I'd be interested in that as well. Really enjoyed the Tomato man so I hope you have him back and always enjoy the author segments, chats with Seedsmen like Owen Bridge and also our local Garden Centers and what's new and hot for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. U should get a gig at the Moncton home show....not sure if they have a garden person or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, please come to Moncton....I would love to hear you interview the couple who have a seed company in Hillsborough NB called Mapple. Their specialty is sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions guys! I have added all of them to my list and we'll cover them in the first month of the show.. I have heard about Mapple too and I'd love to learn more about them and the interesting things they're doing in NB.. Also, love the bees idea.. I think I have just the local expert too!

    In regards to the NB home show, I couldn't make the time work last spring and this spring, I have a feeling that I'll be doing the radio show on that Sunday.. Once the show begins, I can't wander far on the weekends!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three way calling Niki.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know..Pete's onto something there..."live from the Moncton Home Show"...Mapple and more. mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Niki,

    OOOhh, You may see me sneaking a nibble in your cold frames!!

    Spring, seeds, crocuses, dirt......yeah!

    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to all of you for your lovely comments!!

    Welcome Alessandra and Mrs Bok!

    Also, Bren and Pete - it's very hard to set up a remote broadcast for the show.. sadly, as it would be fun!! I haven't gotten to Moncton in years - terrible, eh? It's such a lovely city..

    Hey Edie - nice to hear from you! I'm really loving your blog and the recipes you've been posting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are gobs of city flower beds in Moncton and last year, they had bright lights spinach on Main Street, but surprisingly, it didn't get eaten cuz few knew what it was or expected edible food on the main drag.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)