chives

chives

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Yummy Quinoa!

Last summer, when Dan Jason of Salt Spring Seeds (www.saltspringseeds.com) and Owen Bridge of Annapolis Seeds (www.annapolisseeds.com) joined me on the radio show, we had a fun chat about seed saving, as well as some interesting plants to grow. Both of them have had success with growing quinoa - in fact, Salt Spring Seeds offers seed for these South American cereal-like crop. I was hoping to grow a patch this summer, but I think space will be too limited at this point.. Yet, we still love to eat quinoa - it's incredibly healthy and has a lovely nutty flavour.

Although we like it plain as a sidedish, I've feel like there has to be more ways to use this superfood. Therefore, I've been scouring cookbooks and recipe websites for some good quinoa recipes. Last weekend, I found this recipe on one of my favourite sites and it was so good that I had to share it with you!! Even my 8 year old niece had two helpings with her roasted chicken!! A miracle! (Sorry, I forgot to take a photo - next time.. we were just too hungry)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx

Enjoy.. and Happy Gardening!

2 comments:

  1. tks for the recipe.by pure happenstance,i purchased quinoa 2 weeks ago and was wondering what to do re it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki needs a bigger garden....or maybe a farm.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)