Flowers

Flowers

Monday, March 28, 2011

Seedling update!

It's been a long two weeks, all garden/seeding work delayed by kids with colds, coughs and ear infections..   yet, today, I'm hoping to get more seeds started under the lights - basil, broccoli, kohlrabi, kale, cabbage, zinnias and more.. I'm a few weeks behind schedule!

The tomatoes and peppers that were seeded a few weeks ago are growing well - it seemed to take forever for some of the peppers to sprout, but I really wasn't keeping that close an eye on them and when I peeked a few days ago, I realized that some of the seedlings were purple in colour and therefore blended in with the potting soil!! Thanks to Craig at http://nctomatoman.weebly.com/ I have a bunch of new-to-me tomatoes and peppers that I'm growing this year, so I wasn't sure what to expect.. (for more info on what I'm growing, check out my posts from earlier this month and Feb)

All the tomatoes have now sprouted, except for the Mexico Midget, which I'm told are a bit pokey to germinate. So I'll continue to be patient. I also planted several packs of ruffled pansies.. sigh!! I grew them about ten years ago and LOVED them so much. I bought the Can Can F1 Pansy seed from McFayden (see photo) and they sprouted within 4 days! Can't wait to put these in the garden. The butter yellow pansies from last year are in bud in the veggie garden right now - with no protection! Their hardiness amazes me. Not sure if these ruffled ones will be so persistent, but fingers crossed!

It's also time to be seeding and transplanting under the mini hoop tunnels - seedlings of the cool season cole crops - broccoli, kale, cabbage, kohlrabi and more can be transplanted now under their protection.. as well as seed  of all of the cold and cool season salad greens - mustard, arugula, lettuce, spinach and more..

Mind you, we did wake to a dusting of snow, but the rest of the week looks sunny and mild with temps around 7 and 8 C.. Let's hope the coughs go away ASAP and we can all get back to playing outside..

Happy Gardening!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder..my toms not germinated yet. Can I ask...might I put leeks in the cold frame now? They are about four inches tall and I guess I could bury them deeper down. I'm thinking yes but hope for your opinion. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same went with me and my seedlings. I must say, not bottom heating takes forever with heat loving plants! Next year that won't matter as I'll over plant!

    The kids and I also planted pas. Great that you got four varieties. I don't have the space to NOT mix them. Mixing peas makes for some guesswork I don't want to place on my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the Mexico Midget tomato taking its time, we noticed the same thing with our Red Pear tomato as they have started to emerge a full 22 days after most of our other varieties. Very interesting to hear that some tomatoes germinate slower than others, I did not realize this and will have to be more patient going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bren - Leeks in the cold frame is a good idea, but don't forget, they will grow about 2 feet tall!! I'd bury them down by about 1/2.. I try to plant mine 6 inches deep when they are about 8 to 9 inches tall. That way, I don't have to hill them much over the summer.. I'm lazy! :)

    Mr. H - good to know about your Red Pear tomatoes.. it's interesting how some are so much slower than others.. I'll have to ask Craig, the tomato expert about that when he joins me on the radio show! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My tom seeds have not germenated ether as yet but others have still feel nevers in some ways as i want to provide for my husband and i as money is tight and food cupboard bare but pleasing to know seedling are on the way in turnip,cabbage and some others to happy gardening from linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mexico Midget!!!?
    When did you get those?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A month ago!! I did show you silly.. have a few left with your name on it though!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)