kale

kale
The overwintered kale is sprouting!

Friday, December 23, 2011

A White Christmas!!

Well, I'm not sure how the last-minute shoppers are feeling, but it sure is nice to see a bit of white stuff before Christmas! We expected 2 to 4 cm (1 to 2 inches), but we ended up with 15 cm (6 inches)! Now that the barrage of fluffy snowflakes seems to be slowing, I thought I'd run up to take a few photos of the snow-covered garden. It's such a thick layer of snow, however, that it's hard to even see where the cold frames are hidden! I should probably shovel them off, but I know the snow will just add an insulating layer to them, protecting the veggies within from any cold weather. Therefore, I will just leave the snow for a few days. If it doesn't melt off by then, I will give them a quick cleaning.  
Here are a few shots from a snowy Dec 23.. 

Thank you so much for following my gardening adventures this year and I hope you and your loved ones have a very Merry Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate!!) and I wish you much happiness in 2012! 

Kale orzotto with a blend of kales from the garden!
The mache (aka corn salad) cold frame - stuffed full for winter!
The failed deer fence looks pretty in the snow


One of the sunken cold frames and the deer fence in the backyard.

Where's the cold frame?? 



Another shot of the mache frame with my fancy prop

The giant Chinese silver grass - 10 feet tall at this point. I use the canes as bamboo stakes in the garden each spring.

8 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful there. It's brown here in Iowa. I'm expecting the delivery of your book today from UPS. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grannie M, I'm very jealous! My book is being shipped from the US publisher and it's not available here in Canada yet! :) Soon.. thank you so much for ordering a copy though! I hope you enjoy it and please let me know what you think! best wishes.. Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mache crop looks beautiful. I am in charge of picking greens for salads on the 25th and 26th. Asked Santa for a copy of your book. I am looking forward to Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks George! I really appreciate it! And, I found a source for Fedco.. a friend who will be in the US next month, so they'll bring me back my order. thanks for your offer though, so kind! That is one of the reasons that I love blogging - meeting people like you! All the best to you for a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have so much green growing in all that white! I love your Chinese Silver Grass! I'll have to look that up and see if I can grow it here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Santa Claus. I must have been a good boy, because Santa gave me a copy of your book on Christmas morning, as per my request. I should have asked him to stop at Halifax on his way down here, to get you to autograph it. Well, I guess that just calls for a long, long road trip sometime. May you have Happy Holidays and great winter gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yah George! I hope you enjoy it! I'm glad it's now in stores in the US.. hopefully it will cross the border here soon - the 'official launch' party will be coming up in just over a month, but it should finally arrive in stores in Canada in the coming week or two. All the best to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)