Flowers

Flowers

Friday, March 30, 2012

Seeds are Sprouting!

Spring is well underway now and things are beginning to green up in my basement as well! All my seedlings are growing like crazy.. impressive, considering many have just been planted in the past week. Even the basil germinated in just 4 days and now I have a whole flat of basil babies (four varieties), a sure sign of summer!

Tonight, I'll be at the Home Show at 7 pm speaking on Amazing Edibles and I will also be speaking a handful of times on Sat and Sunday.. scroll down to my older posts to check out my weekend schedule. Hope to see you at some of these events!


Things are a-growing!

Check out my heirloom tomatoes.. Way too many varieties!

Two grow lights, side by side.. 5 flats of seedlings all together. More
to be planted on the lower level of this homemade light stand. 

Look at all those labels.. Hope they don't get knocked
off like last year.. made ID very difficult until some varieties
bore their fruits!

Onions! The heirloom variety Rossa Di Milano
from www.hopeseed.com

Dwarf Chinese cabbage.. Not sure who loves them more - me
or the slugs!

10 comments:

  1. Sigh..well I am late planting mine but got'er done. Thanks for the seeds Niki and Dan also. We need an intervention..too many varieties but I sometimes worry, what if I lose them..what if damp gets them...course that rarely happens and there's lots to share later on! Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that way over on the opposite side of the country....slugs. There is no escaping them. Thanks for the pictures. I just set my grow light up and I can see that I have it too close to the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slugs, yikes! Don't send them this way please! :) I try to keep my lights 1 to 2 inches from the plants, adjusting the chains as they grow. If they're too far away, you'll lose valuable foot-candles and your seedlings will stretch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niki, when do you take the plastic covers/mini greenhouse lids off your seedlings? OR do you use them at all? I don't detect any in your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take the plastic wrap/plastic domes off my trays as soon as the seeds germinate! If you leave them on after germination, you risk damping off or other fungal diseases. Plants need good air circulation, so make sure you have a fan on in the room too.. that makes all the difference for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw. Thanks for posting this informative blog.

      Delete
  6. Okay I have like 12 seedlings and I'm doing a happy dance. My heart skipped a beat when I saw all your flats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Sarah, keep in mind that I am CRAZY!! :) I still have another 5 or 6 flats to seed - time for cukes, zucchini, zinnias, cosmos, etc.. I love spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great looking sprouting seeds you have there. You have an amazing set up for starting them indoors!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)