kale

kale
The overwintered kale is sprouting!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Just call me, Rock Star!

Was just informed that while I was in Toronto for Canada Blooms last month, the Toronto Star newspaper did a little write up on a handful of the speakers at the show - including me.. Their description of me gave me a big giggle, so thought I'd share it! :)

 Niki Jabbour, for instance, is not well known in these parts, but in the Maritimes she is a rock star. Known best for her weekly radio show on News 95.7 in Halifax, she just recently published her first book, Year Round Vegetable Gardening. Jabbour represents the incoming generation of gardeners and she shares a passion for growing food. I have often said that the surging interest in vegetable and fruit gardens is driven by young women, many of them new mothers with a genuine interest in the quality of the food that they are feeding their kids. Listen to Jabbour at 1 p.m. on Friday, March 16 in the Blooms Garden Solutions room.

9 comments:

  1. A year round Veggie gardener rock star! That's good :-).

    Ciao and Happy Easter
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your site and ordered your book. I am so excited. It is so hard to find information on winter gardening. My first attempt was last year. I have a cold house and am planning on making some cold frames this summer.

    We are harvesting spinach, kale and chard now that I planted last fall. I have a lot to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.. It made me laugh.. what I should have written in my post was that right after I read that, I had to go clean the bathrooms.. the life of a rock star is sooooo exciting! :)

    Thanks Karen! So nice to have you visit the site. I hope you enjoy the book! Best of luck with your winter garden, and please e-mail photos so that we can all take a peek at your cold frames! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told my friends about your book so I posted your site on my face book page so they could find you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rocket star, genius.. I do love my arugula!! :)

    And thanks to Karen for directing fellow gardeners to my site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are spreading the word in Denmark!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)