Flowers

Flowers

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Have you ever done the zucchini 'doorbell and dash'??

My just-harvested Trombetta squash from
www.reneesgarden.com
Ah summer.. a bounty of beans, tomatoes and ZUCCHINI!! I know it's my fault.. it always is, but when those glossy seed catalogues arrive in January, I order forget that each zucchini plant will bear dozens of fruits! So, I order way too many varieties, start way too many seeds and plant way too many seedlings into the garden. Oops! That bounty has started rolling in - by the tonne - and each day brings about a dozen summer squash in every shape and shape. We have patty pans - in deep green, light green, yellow and green/white. We have the incredible striped Costata Romanesca with a mild nutty flavour. We have Astia, a compact container oblong-fruited cultivar. We have Clairmore, a Lebanese kousa type. We have Trombetta, that amazing trumpet shaped Italian heirloom. Is that is?? Lucky my Lebanese mother-in-law can't get enough of the summer squash.. Otherwise, we'd really be in trouble!

I harvest the oblong types when they're about 5 to 7 inches long, pattypan when they're 2 to 3 inches across and the Trombetta when they're about a 12 to 15 inches.

So many squash, so little time..

If you've never done the zucchini 'doorbell and dash', here is how it goes:


Place your excess zucchini at the front door of a neighbour,
family member or friend..

Ring the doorbell..

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (heels are optional!)

Clairmore, Costata Romanesca, Astia and another
Costata Romanesca


7 comments:

  1. Ha! I have only a few zucchini plants, and I can never get enough. I love Renee's trombetta--I grew it as a landscape plant in front of a frozen yogurt shop for several years. This is my first year gardening a community garden plot, however--and I know that next year will see a lot more summer squash! I don't plan on ditch-n-dashing, even if I *do* currently have 10 pounds of unused squash waiting for me to figure out what to do with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you dare, Miss Niki!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to be your neighbour! I also read about a small town in Ontario where the residents only lock their car doors during zucchini harvesting time, otherwise, your likely to return to a car with the backseat piled up with squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can ditch-n-dash at my house. My husband always complains about too many zucchins so this year I only planted one. Unfortunately, it didn't grow so now I have no zucchins for Chocolate-zucchin cakes.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. My zucchini plants didn't do as well as the yellow crook neck. Glad to see your picking them at the perfect size. We have bags of baseball bat size zucchini at the post office for all to take.

    I found out that the large zucchini juices very well. Great with carrot and apple juice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great comments everyone!! I should have mentioned that you can reduce the amount of fruits by picking and eating the blossoms - male and female. We like to stuff them with risotto and pan fry, but there are so many ways to enjoy them.

    Love the juicing idea with big zucchinis.. that's such a clever use over overgrown fruits.. I do usually make cake or loaves with them like Cindi says.

    Donna - I'm coming with a big bag! ha ha.. I know you probably have more than enough.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a funny post!
    we dehydrate zucchini chips and munch on them all winter long!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)