Flowers

Flowers

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday in the Garden

A few of the seeds I'm planting today.
Ok, this is going to be a super short post, but one that I will expand on soon.. It is gorgeous outside - sunny and 15 C in my backyard and I'm digging, weeding, seeding and sighing. So nice to be finally in the garden. I would take post photos of my progress, but the sun is so bright, the colours are very washed out, so I'll wait and take some more later in the afternoon when it's not so glaring. I hope you're getting out in your own garden today as there is plenty that can be planted now - salad greens, turnips, beets, peas, carrots, kale, kohlrabi, onion sets, etc.. I keep my row covers handy for those night when the temp dips, but for now, the extended forecast is mild and sunny.. 

Back to the garden.. just came in for a quick water break, but wanted to share these photos.. :)


A 3 by 4 foot bed of Rocky Top Lettuce Mix
from www.rareseeds.com It's a new mix for me
and I can't wait to start picking salads!

5 comments:

  1. Raring to go as well! Missed Sunday's weather but Monday and the whole week here in NS looks promising. Fancy garden marker!! ahem.. Makes a nice photo. GB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I got back up to the garden after I quickly posted this and realized I should have credited you for the garden marker.. I love these so much - thank you for them - homemade too!! :) Love you Bren..

      Delete
  2. Niki, I've been reading your book through since finding it at the local library! It's a great read and I like the organization. I am currently a once-and-future gardener, but my aim is to garden year-round. I think we have almost the same zone even though I'm in northern Indiana...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niki,

    I am just wondering if you have ever tried putting zucchini plants in early under mini tunnels? My plants were started a bit early (over eager...) and are getting too big to be on the kitchen table still...I am in your area and am a bit worried to try them under plastic in case they get mildew. My other option is to plant them in containers in the garage and just open the doors up for them during the days and move them to the patio once the frost is gone. Any suggestions? Thanks! Oh - and I love your book, even my 5 year old is referencing it when she wants to plant new things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'd like to know that too. And whether I can put my cauliflower/broccoli transplants out now - under plastic or in open air? And can I direct seed broccoli and cauliflower now or no? Any help is appreciated. This early planting is so new...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)