Flowers

Flowers

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Attack of the Aphids!

What veggie gardener (or flower gardener, for that matter!) hasn't encountered aphids at some point? I see them several times a season, typically settled on plants like corn, artichokes and occasionally my peppers. For this reason, I try and include 'trap crops' around my susceptible edibles. Nasturtiums are my favourite aphid trap crop because we can eat them, they entice beneficials/pollinators and they look fabulous!

Here's an example of an effective trap crop at work! My peppers are aphid free.. but the nasturtium planted nearby is infested. It's been this way for weeks, but still no aphids on the peppers.

Don'tcha just love nature!?

3 comments:

  1. I grow nasturtiums in pots for eating in salads. Thanks for the suggestion of using them as a pest trap next year I will put them near my peppers. Do you just leave the aphids on the nasturtiums or remove them in some way?

    http://liveintheyard.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one!! Thanks for the share!! It was a nice post to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully joyous way to show how effective it is to grow natural! Been doing it for years, everyone always asks how I get ride of my slugs - I don`t but I have some real happy frogs, snakes and a lot of birds kicking around the garden. And the slugs are interesting enough to watch early in the morning, that a few extra plants tucked into the garden are a reasonable sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)