Flowers

Flowers

Monday, August 26, 2013

Edible Landscaping at the Parliament Building in Quebec City

I can't believe I've been back from the Garden Writer Symposium in Quebec City for almost a week! It was really fantastic connecting with fellow writers, as well as editors, publishers, companies, etc. You can also read about the week in a blog post by my Storey Publishing editor, Carleen Madigan. She wrote about it on their website - here. I didn't get to the rooftop garden that she details in her post.. I tried, but as I left my hotel room - sneaking out to not wake up the kids, I slammed my hand in the very heavy hotel room door and missed the bus. Sigh.. Luckily the X-ray showed no broken bones.. just excessive clumsiness! Now, I'm typing with just 9 fingers..

Yet, I really enjoyed myself in Quebec City (maybe because there were so many bakeries and gelato's shops??) and learned a lot, as well as took over 1000 photos of the gardens we toured.. a particular favourite was the Parliament Building just a stone's throw from our hotel. This amazing edible garden features over 130 types of vegetables, herbs and fruits with many of the crops grown in large grow bags - 4 feet in diameter and 1 foot deep. Even the willow arbours were grown in these bags! Seriously awesome! Plus, there were beehives on the roof of the Parliament building. The harvest is being donated to a local community group.

Check out a visual tour below:


Apples and strawberries

Contained herb/flower border with an in ground veggie garden
behind. 

Herbs!!

Oh, so this is what pole beans look like when deer don't
eat them?? ha ha..

Jealous! Glorious pole beans.

Hello kale! I love Winterbor - it is so curly
that even the cabbage worms and slugs
don't bother with the leaves. 

Edible landscaping at its finest!

Herbs!

More herbs!

Such a wonderful mix of edible and ornamental plants.

Sunflowers and corn on the steps leading up to the parliament building.

Part of a living willow arbour. Um, I MUST
do this next year. 

These pots were just amazing!

Check out the living entrance to the veggie garden.

Cabbage!



Recognize this fellow? Horseradish!


3 comments:

  1. So beautiful thanks for sharing the pictures! I noticed while in Montreal 2 summers ago that along the streets in downtown there were random plantings of tiny vegetable gardens. Basically they were there to be picked and eaten.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful! My name is Michelle and I live in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I bought your book "The Year Round Vegetable Gardener" and it is amazing. I am so inspired by what you do!! I am wanting to grow all my own food, greens, cruciferous root veggies (especially sweet potatoes), black beans, pinto beans, white beans, etc. I will continue to buy my grains in bulk at the health food store. lol:) I am such a novice and was wondering if you personally mentor? What would be the cost? I am so excited to learn everything I possibly can. I am reading your book now and maybe that is good enough? But would love to have a mentor like you!! my email is butler.michelle77@gmail.com My blog is: shanemichelle.blogspot.com

    Again i am amazed by what you have done! Thank you for writing this book. I am looking forward to reading your other book as well.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. well this is really great. It is not just used as an attraction or decoration, we can even eat it. Amazing! well done.

    landscaping pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)