Flowers

Flowers

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Flower arranging 101 with bestselling author, Debra Prinzing!

I've had the pleasure of meeting garden writer and lecturer, Debra Prinzing, several times now, as well as chatting with her on The Weekend Gardener. She is the author of seven books, including the recent The 50 Mile Bouquet: Seasonal, Local and Sustainable Flowers (St. Lynn's Press, 2012) and the upcoming Slow Flowers: Four Seasons of Locally Grown Bouquets from the Garden, Meadow and Farm (St. Lynn's Press, 2013). She's also an enthusiastic and passionate gardener and every time we talk, I come away inspired.

It came to my attention that she has just released a five-minute video that showcases Colour Theory and bouquet building - things that I know NOTHING about! I must admit that I do gather several armfuls of flowers from my garden each week (and sometimes add some fragrant herbs or flowering veggies like bolted broccoli/kale), but I typically cut the stems and toss them in a big jar or vase with little thought to proper arranging. Debra makes things simple though and I'm definitely going to be putting a bit more thought into my careless arrangements. I thought I'd share the video with you, as well as a few photos of some of Debra's creations.. (I should have claimed them for my own!! Sadly, no one would have believe me! ha ha)

If you'd like to see the video, here is the link.

From Debra:

The video introduces my floral design techniques by following the basics of color theory. For DIY-designers and beginners, it's an easy guide to get started. Sometimes when you're at the flower stand or even walking through the garden, the choices are certainly beautiful, but also overwhelming. The Color Wheel ideas help simplify and organize your design process. You'll be able to create harmonious, eye-pleasing floral arrangements, centerpieces and bouquets, with a fun, paint-by-number approach (or shall we say "paint-by-petal")?

A few more photos from Debra below:





(FYI, For those who are curious about these things, I was not paid or compensated for sharing this. I'm just a huge Debra Prinzing fan!)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on the video... I'm going to go check it out now.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)