Flowers

Flowers

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Behind the scenes at the Northwest Flower and Garden Show

What a show! I'm finally back from Seattle and my first trip to the Northwest Flower and Garden Show. I took hundreds of photos and thought I'd share some of those images with you today.. I do have many more that I will share in the coming days (including some of the great folks I met at the show), but it's so cold here today (and 2 storms coming!) so I am thinking spring and buzzing with all the wonderful garden inspiration I found in Seattle.

A photo of my backyard - I wish!! This was
one of the award winning display gardens
at the show.  Loved the water feature, the
chandelier and the stone edged terraces.

The Art of Zen, a wonderful garden with
bold colours, large stones, a unique
water feature and classic statuary. I also
loved the living room on this structure. 

Called 'A Conduction of Vigorous Immersion', this
garden was designed by a collection of Seattle artists. An
eye-catching combination of art, living walls
and light. Note the glowing jellyfish dangling
in the air.

Asparagus!! And lettuce with brassicas.. 

A soothing woodland vingette with early
bulbs, moss and natural stones. 
So many great elements for the garden. This booth offered
rustic garden sheds and accessories. 

Pitchforks made from espaliered trees!
I really wanted one of these - not a great
carry-on for the airplane though! 

Grow food indoors all year long. Interesting
upright growing towers. More to come
on these.

Another look at these towers. 

So much garden art! these were crafted
from metal.

A twist on a bottle tree! Whimsical
and unique!

Quite the size range of these pieces. From about
1-foot diameter to 4 feet. Wonderful
in a shaded garden.


Many of these were lit up with strings of light bulbs.
I was very tempted by the vibrant colours and fun designs
of these metal pieces! 

See the one that says 'dude!!'.. awesome!

Seattle is famous for the Chihuly Garden and
Glass art experience and therefore glass
is a common feature in the gardens here. This booth
sold wonderful glass garden art in many designs, colours
and sizes. These funky mushrooms were so fun!

A wider shot of the above booth.

Love how they grouped their products
by colour.

Yet more glass garden art. 

I love my gnomes and these guys were
celebrating the Seattle Seahawks
Superbowl win!

Another repetitious theme at the show was
a love of succulents. I'm now obsessed!
A variety of plants and vertical and
hanging pots. 

A wider view of the succulent booth. 

How many can I take home??????

Just one of many aisles of garden art! It was hard to resist
buying one of everything.

Flowering ferns - hardy to zone 6.. wanted to give these a try.

More plants. So. many. plants. 

Did I mention there were seed companies there too? 

And cold frames! About 4 or 5 of the exhibitors had
cold frame or season extending structures. 

Dahlia love! Varieties galore - what a variety of flower
colours, sizes and shapes.

A small garden by a Vancouver company that spotlighted succulents
and their unique flat containers. Very trendy! 

Last, but not least, the Subaru garden in the middle
of the show featured edibles!! 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a brilliant show. I would be sorely tempted to buy huge amounts of stuff when it is so accessible! Re the pitchforks: don't they deliver??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Mark. The pitchforks..how I would love one. But it would be 'a looker'. Don't touch and don't use! Too beautiful.

    Great photos..just a pleasure to see the displays. Need to learn more about succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enormous information in one blog post, I just love it. I must appreciate and mention that you completely know how to keep connected reader to blog post even if it is little long. Very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing I wasn't there. I'd be in debtors' prison now! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)