Flowers

Flowers

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday - Edible Garden Edges

An edible edge of mixed baby lettuces - oak leaf,
Black Seeded Simpson, red romaine, etc.
Another snowy icy day. And more snow coming tomorrow.. anyone else getting tired of winter?? Therefore, for today's post, I thought I'd venture deep into my photo achieves and dig out a few spring-like shots of the garden.

Lo and behold, I found these beauties.. some of the edible edges I have used to border my veggie garden beds. These are all lettuce based edges and can be planted quite early in spring, refreshed in early summer and replanted in late summer for a fall crop.

Growing an edible edge offers several benefits:
  1. Boosts production - no wasted space!
  2. Prevents soil erosion - especially when beds aren't bordered with wood or another material
  3. Depending what you choose to grow, your edge could act as a trap crop, preventing pests like aphids from munching on your veggies.
  4. Looks fabulous!! Need I say more? 


Love these lettuces - a red lollo rossa, a butter crunch variety
and 'Drunken Woman', which has flamboyant red and
green frilled leaves. I just alternated them around
the whole bed - eye catching!

A tasty mixture of oak leaf lettuce with curly parsley.


3 comments:

  1. creating edible edges with lettuce is really original and creative......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've had enough of Winter. Roll on Spring! I was actually thinking of sowing some lettuce seeds this weekend, so this has confirmed the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw beets used in the flower beds at the Krohn Conservatory in Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)