Flowers

Flowers

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

An early spring at Canada Blooms - Part 1

Paul Zammit and me! Paul is the Nancy Eaton Director
of Horticulture at the Toronto Botanical Gardens - and
contributed a fabulous garden design for a pollinator
friendly veggie garden in Groundbreaking Food
Gardens!
I'm just back from a whirlwind trip to Toronto where a highlight of the visit was my day at Canada Blooms. Walking into the massive room at the Direct Energy Centre was like finally (finally!) enjoying a hint of spring. That day started with an early morning tour around the display gardens and various floral masterpieces with my Savvy Gardening buddy Tara Nolan.

While at Canada Blooms, I offered a seminar, followed by a book signing.. and I also had the chance to connect with the Canadian members of the Garden Writers Association. I will post photos of some of those folks in the coming days.

As always, there is so much to see at the show and I thought I could do one big post, but I just have to many photos.. so I'm going to divide it up over 2 or 3 posts.

Today, I want to focus on some of the edibles and new products I found at Canada Blooms.. I even returned home with more seeds (and seed potatoes) - can you imagine?! Now I need to pay a visit to Halifax Seed because I just realized that I need more trays and cell packs to start my seeds. Should have planned ahead.. ooops!

And speaking of Halifax Seed, they are hosting the official book launch for Groundbreaking Food Gardens on Saturday, April 5th from 2 to 4 pm. There will be plenty of books, seeds, garden goodies, door prizes and even cake! Hope you can pop in and say hi. The Facebook event page is here if you wanted to 'check in' beforehand or see more details.

While in TO, I also appeared on Global Mornings - Click HERE to watch that 4 min clip.

On Sat, March 15th, I joined Charlie Dobbin, host of The Garden Show for a one hour talk with her and her 'under gardener', Frank. They are a hoot - and so professional. Charlie, who also organizes Canada Blooms, had a terrible cold, but soldiered through. Listen to the podcast HERE.

And in tomorrow's (Thurs March 20th) Globe and Mail, there will be an article on my new book.. I'll post an online link if there is one.

More to come! :)

Hello Toronto!

Walking into the show I spy veggies!!

Is it summer? I see bush beans!

A view of some of the booth created by the Toronto
Botanical Gardens - a true edible paradise!

They used an assortment of trellises,
teepees, etc to support vining
crops likes cukes, noodle beans and more.


So colourful! This was a happening booth! This
photo was taken before the show opened.. during show
hours, it was wall to wall people!
See - I wasn't lying.. wall to wall! These four ladies work
for the TBG and were manning the cash registers.
So many tempting plants, tools and gardening goodies.

Oh look - it's m new book!! During my book signing, they
went through quite a pile! What a great place to
sign books. 

So beautiful! I filmed a short 2 min video here
to promote my upcoming June 5 and June 6
appearance at the TBG.
A pot of kale!
More raised planters and food crops.


A sprawling hanging tomato. The
pot was wrapped in burlap for
visual appeal.

A charming potting cart. I want one! (and
I love these topiaries)

A few new products - a pallet inspired
vertical garden. Great for edibles like
salad crops or herbs, as well as ornamentals
like succulents. 

A trough planter. Nice and deep for holding soil, with
a wide top to fit in as many plants as possible.

More vertical growing products. I
really want to start a living wall on my
back deck.

A closer peek. I want to grow herbs in mine.. anyone else?? :)







2 comments:

  1. What a fun show! Congrats on the new book! I will have to pick up a copy, I love your first book and show it almost every time I teach a gardening class and encourage others to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you met Paul Z; he's probably the most enthusiastic and knowledgeable colleague I had the privilege to work with. Thanks for posting so many CB pics.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)