Flowers

Flowers

Friday, August 15, 2014

Hot and Spicy - the Piquant Black Radish!

I don't think it's a secret - radishes are easy to grow. And quick! I sowed the seed for these black Spanish radishes in early July and harvested the first two yesterday.. The rough black exterior is simply gorgeous and hides a creamy white interior that packs more than a gentle bite!

The bigger one in the photo was about 2 inches in diameter.. it wasn't until after I harvested that I read (on the seed packet) that I should have picked it when it was about the size of a quarter.. oops! Apparently, they have a tad less heat at that stage. Either way, this was a fun new radish for me and I'm going to sow the rest of the seed pack for an October harvest. I may even see if I can get these to 'hold' in the cold frames or garden into late autumn/winter.

Now, I've got to find a few more ways to use these spicy fellas! Suggestions?







4 comments:

  1. The black radishes certainly make a change from the usual red ones. Is the skin not tough?
    You could perhaps try using the radishes the Korean way, grated, with a bulgogi dressing, which has lots of sesame oil in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could pickle them and use as a condiment? There are several good recipes on you tube - one of them has ginger, garlic, and tabasco sauce as some of the brine ingredients. Let us know what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read recently you can pickle and saute them....sounds yummy...I will have to try these black ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm use to the french radis noir, sometimes it can be quite spicy. The traditional French way is to eat on bread with demi sel butter, thin slices of black radish and a pinch of fleur de sel.
    Also you could make a radish butter.
    I did pickled them vietnamese style (like in the carrot and daikon pickle) not bad.
    You could use the thin rounds of radishes as canapes for salmon, if you google immage radis noir saumon you can get many ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)