Flowers

Flowers

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Late Season Salad Greens - Time to Plant!

I hate to bring up the F-word (fall that is.. what were you thinking?), but it is time to start thinking about seeding more salad greens for the cold season.. lettuce, spinach, arugula, chard, beet greens, baby kale, turnip greens, Asian greens and so on.

Thanks to yesterdays thunderstorm, the soil has gotten a nice drenching and so I'm going to direct sow some seed for autumn today.. it's a bit early for the winter crops, but they'll also be going in by late August, early Sept, depending on the veggie.

If hot, dry summer weather is making seeding difficult in your neck of the woods, put your grow lights to work and start some greens indoors. That's what I did with these beauties below. Makes succession planting a snap and eliminates the need to water newly seeded garden beds every 5 minutes in the summer heat. :)

What are you growing for fall/winter?



7 comments:

  1. Help! We just got home from 10 days away and our tomato plants are all dying- fruit is well formed but leaves are brown and plants are almost dead. Is there anything to do that might save them? Garden girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! Were they not watered? Was it too hot/dry? If that is the issue, then deep watering may help.. along with an application of something like liquid kelp. But if it's blight (yellow leaves w/brown spots/patches) than it may be too late. I make it a rule to deep mulch my tomatoes so that I rarely need to water. A nice 6 inch thick layer of shredded leaves or straw really locks in that moisture. Keep me posted.. so sorry to hear this!

      Delete
    2. We live in the Halifax area so I think they got lots of water. There are brown blotches on the stem and brown on the bottom of the green tomatoes- Big Beef and Scotia. Does that sound like blight or fungus or ???

      Delete
    3. I'm just outside Halifax and my garden has been quite dry the past few weeks. . very sporadic rain! But that said, stem and fruit lesions most likely means blight.. I can't say which without seeing the plants or a photo though.. can you tweet me one at @NikiJabbour? or tag me on Facebook? Black spots on the bottoms of fruits can also mean blossom end rot, but that doesn't have stem lesions.

      Delete
  2. I just planted kale, carrots, beets and onions for fall harvest. In the next couple of weeks I will also be planting lettuce, greens spinach and more kale. I think I like fall/winter growing better than summer here in the northeast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think I agree too Rob! I do miss my summer favourites like beans though in fall/winter.. but the kale, carrots and endless greens are so low maintenance and delish in the cold season.

      Delete
  3. Niki, I purchased your book, Yearround Vegetable Gardener and you inspired me to grow veggies this winter! I just received my seeds for winter harvest: carrots, beets, deer tongue, radishetta, red oakleaf, spinach, radish, kale & swiss chard. I'm in the process of planning and amending my garden beds for the winter. Even after cucumber beetles ravaged some of my cukes, cabbage worms munched my broccoli and cabbage plants, something was eating my yellow marigolds that I planted to deter bugs, squash vine borers enjoyed some of my zucchini plants and powdery mildew destroyed my first crop of pea plants that I was saving for seed, I'm not giving up! This year is a learning year for me. And WOW! am I learning! Thank God for the internet!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)