Flowers

Flowers

Friday, August 1, 2014

Plant Profile: Peppermint Swiss Chard

Peppermint Swiss Chard is a new introduction for 2014 that boasts two-toned stems striped in electric pink and white. Yes, striped. Striped! In fact, it is the only two-toned variety of chard and I just can't stop taking photos of it. I've tried..  I swear.. but every time I wander up to the garden, there it is, looking so dazzling. And I just gotta..

At this point, I've got about 40 plants that I started from seed, scattered throughout my 2000 square feet garden.. I've plunked it at the entrance to the garden, amongst the tomatoes, near the potatoes, by my pole bean trellises.. wherever!

The plants are bolt resistant - even in the summer heat. I haven't actually lost any to bolting, and they have the typical flavour of Swiss chard. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if they taste like peppermint. Nope, sorry.. they just look like peppermint.

An added bonus: the plants are open-pollinated, so you can save the seed and grow it again next year.


STRIPED! Seriously striped. 

Such a beautiful bunch


My chard harvests with 5 pounds of baby potatoes.


3 comments:

  1. Stunning! I think they look like those candy canes you hang on a Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh such perfectly beautiful leaves of chard...no leaf miner..no nibbles...and to add to the beauty, candy cane stripes. So lovely Niki. Wouldn't it be a kick though, if they had a hint of peppermint ;-) Might not go with a cheese sauce though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew these too and loved them. My plants grew to over 2 feet tall.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)