Flowers

Flowers

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Canada Blooms 2015!

The view from my hotel room! 
Phew! Just back from a whirlwind tour of Canada Blooms in Toronto. It's my 4th year visiting this amazing show, which is celebrating its 19th year in 2015. Can't wait for the 20th anniversary where BIG things are planned!

For me, Canada Blooms has always been the official kick off to spring - even though I flew home just before Mother Nature dumped another 30+ cm of snow on us (sigh) and tonight and tomorrow is another 30 cm (double sigh).. but that's ok as it's just 3 DAYS TO SPRING!!

I still have major seed starting to do and when/if the snow melts, I will have new beds to dig.. don't tell the hubby, but I've realized that I don't have enough garden space for all I want to grow.. therefore, I think some of the nice, sunny, flat back lawn will need to morph into gardens. Who knows, if I gradually absorb the grass, he may not even notice ???

Over the next few days, I will do a handful of posts about Canada Blooms as I took hundreds of photos and want to feature a few of the most outstanding gardens with their own posts. For example, the display created by the Toronto Botanical Gardens was incredible and completely dedicated to pollinators. The #1 garden trend in 2015 (at least according to me!) Stay tuned!

I had the opportunity on Friday March 13th, to have an early morning media tour with some fellow garden writers, like Tara Nolan, who owns Savvy Gardening with me (and Jessica Walliser and Amy Andrychowicz). We did the first Savvy Gardening talk at Canada Blooms, focusing on Garden BFFs: How edibles and ornamentals can play nicely in the garden. It was a great group of gardeners who came out to see us and I hope it will be the first of many Savvy Gardening talks!

The theme of the 2015 show is 'Let's Play', and many of the garden designers created spaces to reflect playfulness, childhood and capture the imagination.

For now, here's a teaser of some of the sights of Canada Blooms 2015:

Walking through the Home Show to get to Canada Blooms!
Not quite a red carpet, but an impressive allee of potted trees, tropicals
and blooms.

Almost there - just a few more steps until we get to Canada Blooms, 
Tara Nolan and I did our duty and thoroughly
explored all Canada Blooms had to offer! This is Tara
walking the charming wooden path of the Fairy Frolic garden by
Vandermeer Nursery and Earth Art Landscapes. 
According to the designers, the Fairy Frolic garden
was "created with the hope that it will awaken
memories of days gone by, a world other
than our own and a retreat that takes us
back to childhood play."
This was a garden where you had to look very closely.
There were many details that were
only appreciated with careful viewing. 

This was my favourite vignette in the garden - check
out the waterfall!
If you have any old tree stumps, logs, etc in your
garden, you might want to consider creating
a little fairy world.
I also loved this 'curious troll', a sizeable display in
the Fairy Frolic garden.

Look who was filming a TV spot in the nearby
Beinenstock Playground - it's Mark Cullen!

This was one of the coolest gardens at the show and
was created by Adam Beinenstock.
It featured a treehouse, with
a double spiral slide - which I tested out, thank
you very much! Not so easy in heels.. :)

Another view of the playground from the other side of the treehouse.
This garden used so many elements that appeal to kids.. there were
water features, chalkboards, trees to climb, slides, toys, etc. 














6 comments:

  1. WoWzers! I love the fairy garden! The wheels are already turning...Thanks for sharing, Niki, about inspiring Canada Blooms (on my bucket list). I'm looking forward to learning more.
    Wishing you a Happy St. Patrick's Day,
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - same to you!! It's a good day to plant some greens! :)

      Delete
  2. I've never been to Canada Blooms (shame on me!) - I'm concentrating mostly on edibles right now and I always considered that show to be primarily geared towards ornamentals. However, with their 20th anniversary coming up, it sounds like next year may be the year.

    And do we ever really have enough beds for everything we want to grow? I think not ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way Margaret - all about the edibles.. and I was surprised in 2012 at how many edible gardens there were at the Philly Flower Show.. this year at Canada Blooms there were only two gardens w/edibles.. definitely not a great showing.. but the Toronto Botanical Garden booth was so inspiring in regards to pollinators - many great ideas for food and ornamental gardeners! :)

      Delete
  3. For me the show was a bit of a disappointment. I couldn't get beyond the dim, minutes-to-midnight lighting which didn't fit with a spring themed show. And where were the "blooms" at Canada Blooms?
    I did love the fairy garden though. I want one of those fairy tree houses.
    Sorry to have missed saying hello. By the time I worked up the courage to introduce myself, you had disappeared (perhaps to do a talk).

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your pictures are great but i particularly empathise with this:

    " According to the designers, the Fairy Frolic garden
    was "created with the hope that it will awaken
    memories of days gone by, a world other
    than our own and a retreat that takes us
    back to childhood play."

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)