Flowers

Flowers

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

All-America Selections Update - June 2015

Remember this? Back in mid-May these seedlings were tiny!
Now that summer has finally arrived, I thought I'd offer a quick update on one of my container gardens that featured past and recent winners from All-America Selections.. keep in mind that EVERYTHING in this container was grown from seed (by me!) that was started in late March.. Ideally, I should have started these a month earlier, but I was busy and it just didn't happen! :)

Nevertheless, these plants have proven to be extremely easy - and quick - to grow and I am anxiously awaiting bloom time (a week?).

Here's the recipe I used for this container:

- Three Dianthus, Interspecific 'Jolt Pink' F1. This is a 2015 AAS winner that will soon produce very big and showy electric pink flowers. (They're the plants with the long, narrow leaves)

- Two Geranium 'Pinto Premium White to Rose' F1. I have to admit, that I am very excited to see this geranium flower. The plants produce large 5 inch blooms that open white, but mature to deep pink, giving the plant a pretty two-toned appearance. Beautiful foliage too - a plus!

- Two Osteospermum 'Akila Daisy White' F1 - This is the first time I've grown Osteospermum from seed, and I honestly was expecting them to be much slower growing.. Happily, this 2014 AAS winner is speeding right along and will soon be in bloom. I have to note that it was super easy to grow and I will definitely be doing this more in the future - especially as Osteospermum in 4 or 6 inch pots are getting very expensive! The charming flowers resemble daisies with white petals and cheerful yellow centers. Can't wait!

- One Bear Necessities kale - I also grew this new-to-me kale from seed, and it isn't an AAS winner, but I do like to mix my ornamentals and edibles in my garden beds and containers. It has highly dissected foliage and will add a pop of unique texture to the pot. Garden BFF's!

TA DA!! Isn't it looking amazing - so lush and green.. Blooms coming soon - see all the buds
 on the Osteospermum? Excited! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)